The Nine Realms of Yggdrasil, the World Tree, are as follows.
(This will be the way I spell them, to those who know variations.)
- Asgard, home of the Aesir (singular: Ás) (commonly, but incorrectly known as the Asgardians) (Thor, Odin, Frigga, etc.)
- Vanaheim, home of the Vanir, the sister realm of Asgard (birthplace of Freya and Freyr)
- Álfheim, home of the Light Elves, or Ljósálfar
- Midgard, aka Earth, home of humans
- Jötunheim, home of the Frost Giants, or Jötnar (singular: Jötun)
- Svartálfheim, home of the Dark Elves, or Svartálfar. Here, deep underground, within the mountains, lies Nidavellir, home of the Dwarves, or Dvergr
- Muspellheim, home of the Fire Giants. Primordial land of fire
- Niflheim, home to none. Primordial land of ice
- Helheim, land of the dishonored dead. Those considered “unworthy” to go to Valhalla (also known as “the ones who didn’t die heroically in battle”) go here. It is ruled by the goddess Hela.